[zentyal-announce] The last Zentyal beta installer (2.1-2) available!

José Antonio Calvo jacalvo at zentyal.com
Thu Jun 30 16:43:21 CEST 2011

Hi fellow Zentyal users,

We're glad to announce the availability of a new beta installer, Zentyal
2.1-2! Please note that this is the last beta version: from July to
September we'll publish a series of release candidate versions and in
September the next stable release (Zentyal 2.2), will see daylight.

This installer contains all the improvements and bugfixes done since the
release of the previous beta installer (2.1-1 ), but it also comes with
the first previews of three fully new modules: PPTP, Captive Portal and
VM Management. Please note that these modules are still under
development and they may be in alpha status. No need to say that the
modules are not intended for production environments, but we wanted to
make them available ASAP in order to start getting feedback from you.

You can download the new installer for 32 and 64 bit architectures from
our Beta Downloads page [0]. You can also install the 2.1 packages on an
existing Ubuntu Server 10.04 following the instructions at our
Installation Guide [1]. Users who already have a 2.1 installation, don't
need to use the installer, just make sure to upgrade to the latest
versions of all the available packages.

A quick note about the VM Management module:

We have developed two different backends to manage VirtualBox and KVM.
KVM is going to be the default option, but the development of the
VirtualBox backend is more advanced. If you want to test it, just remove
the libvirt package and install the virtualbox package (sudo apt-get
remove libvirt-bin && sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose).

Please remember again that 2.1 is a beta version and it is not intended
for production environments. As usual, if you have a spare testing
server or a VM, you can help us a lot by reporting any problem you
encounter or simply by giving any feedback or ideas. With your
collaboration and help, we have no doubt that 2.2 will be the best
Zentyal release ever!

[0] http://www.zentyal.org/beta
[1] http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Document/Documentation/InstallationGuide

Best regards,